Warnings and notices
aThe Navigational Warning System of the Federal Republic of Germany issues warnings to shipping when hazards are imminent or have already occurred. It is composed of the following parts:
Warning messages from the Radio Navigational Warnings Centre Emden
The Radio Navigational Warnings Centre is manned day and night, issues navigational warnings for German sea areas and distributes them via NAVTEX.
- The continuously updated valid nautical warning messages can be found here:
Navigational warnings for the North Sea (PDF file)
Navigational warnings for the Baltic Sea (PDF file)
- Navigational warnings are divided into NAVAREA areas worldwide and some are also available on the Internet:
World-Wide Radio Navigational Warnings on the Web
- The area of the Baltic Sea is designated in NAVAREA Area I as the regional sub-area BALTICO and is available under:
Coastal Navigational Warnings within the Baltic Sea Sub-Area
- Contact Radio Navigational Warnings Centre
Phone: +49 4927 1877-283
Fax: +49 4927 1877-288
Notices to Mariners (NfS) from the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH)
For safe navigation, mariners must always use the current editions of the nautical charts and nautical publications, correct them continuously and keep them up to date. All changes that occur after the publication of a nautical chart or publication can be found in the "Notices to Mariners (NfS)".
The NfS are published weekly in both printed and digital format. They contain corrections and reports on measures and events of major or supra-regional importance.
For more information, see Notices to Mariners (NfS).
Notices to Seafarers (BfS) from the Federal Waterways and Shipping Directorate (GDWS)
The waterway and shipping authorities indicate events and measures of local importance in the announcements for seafarers (BfS).
- The BfS can be found daily at www.elwis.de, the electronic waterway information service of the Federal Waterways and Shipping Administration.
Military shooting exercises
In areas of the North Sea and Baltic Sea military shooting exercises are regularly held. Here you will find an overview of the affected shooting areas and corresponding shooting times in the area covered by BSH sea charts.