Procedure and current status
The procedure for carrying out the investigation and examining the suitability of an site for the construction and operation of offshore wind turbines is governed by § 12 WindSeeG. A strategic environmental assessment in accordance with §§ 39 et seq. of the Environmental Impact Assessment Act (UVPG) must also be carried out as part of the suitability assessment.
The WindSeeG dictates the following procedure for the investigation of sites:
- Initiation and announcement of the procedure
- Conduct of a hearing
- Determination of the scope of the investigation on the basis of the hearing
- Compiling the information about the site
- Assessing the suitability of the site, including carrying out a strategic environmental assessment and determining the capacity to be installed
- Issue of a legal ordinance to determine suitability
- Transmission of information on the site and the service to be installed to the BNetzA
In addition, the BSH regularly publishes a participation document in preparation for the hearing in which the subject and scope of the planned investigations are described.
As part of the strategic environmental assessment, a discussion meeting is held. At this meeting, the preliminary results of the suitability assessment and a draft of the environmental report can be discussed.
The procedure for the investigation of sites regularly extends over a period of about three to four years. According to § 9 para. 3 WindSeeG, the investigation must be completed one year before the start of the auction for the respective site.
The sites and the order in which they are to be investigated are determined in the site development plan, as are the calendar years in which the sites are to be put out to tender.
Important note: The current site development plan dates back to the year 2020 (SDP 2020). More details on the current status of the amendment and updating of the site development plan can be found here.
The investigation of sites has already begun. The status of the procedure and the documents published for the sites are shown on the page of the respective site.
Current procedures following SDP 2020