As a partner to maritime
shipping and a supporter of environmental conservation efforts and maritime
- support maritime shipping and the maritime industry,
- promote sustainable use of the oceans,
- ensure the continuity of measurements,
- provide competent information about the status of the Northand Baltic Seas.
Our tasks as an important provider of maritime services in Germanyinclude:
- Environmental protection in maritime shipping (MARPOL, civil liability for oil
pollution, Ballast Water Convention, oil identification)
- Maritime security
- Hydrographic surveying, wreck search
- Nautical information systems
- Services to shipping (flag documents, Certificates of Competency for mariners,
promotion of shipping)
- Warning services (water level foreasts and tide predictions, storm surge warning
service, ice service)
- Monitoring of the sea (with regard to climate and environmental changes)
- Maritime geospatial data centre
- Maritime spatial planning in the German Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ)
- Planning approval procedures for offshore wind farms and pipelines
The BSH is represented not only in national state and federal bodies but co-operates with more than 20 international organisations.
Here is a list of the bodies and organisations.
The BSH Flyer
provides a brief introduction to our tasks and fields of activity.
Publications, presentations and lectures
BSH Annual Report 2009